About the Lecture Course
Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) technologies have drawn the attention of the scientific community due to its unprecedented power and relatively low cost. This new technology has huge potential to accelerate agricultural biotechnology.
The objective of this lecture course is to familiarize researchers and students in Africa to the potential of NGS in agricultural biotechnology and to learn the best practices in this fast evolving field. This Lecture Course will be based on a series of conceptual, background and methodological lectures centred on Next Generation Sequencing (NGS).
Topics will include:
- NGS: background, basic concepts and main challenges
- Understanding the underlying technology: overview, constrains and future directions
- Data management: experimental design and handling NGS data
- Genomes and genome browsing
- Metagenomics and deep sequencing in transcriptomics
- Practical applications of NGS, challenges and the way forward
We look forward to welcoming you to Nairobi!